ExamDiff Pro FAQ
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I start ExamDiff Pro from Windows Explorer?
- How do I start ExamDiff Pro from Total (formerly Windows) Commander?
- Why can't I edit files, and why are Delete Block and Add/Replace Block menu items disabled?
- What comparison algorithm does ExamDiff Pro use?
- Why does ExamDiff Pro's menu have white boxes around text?
- Are there limits to the sizes of input files?
- When I copy a directory (with a file), it still does not refresh like it does when I copy just a file. Why?
- Timestamps of copied files are 1-2 seconds ahead of their sources. Why?
- Can I compare two text fragments without files?
- Sometimes very long lines are not fully visible in Windows 95/98/Me. Why?
- How can I make comparison faster?
- How can I compare files on the Internet?
- How can integrate ExamDiff Pro with WinCVS?
- Is there a way to integrate ExamDiff Pro with SourceSafe?
- How do the "Ignore blank lines" and "Ignore lines matching regular expression" options work?
- Is there a way to turn on address columns in binary comparison panes?
- Why are almost identical files shown as completely different?
- Why are ExamDiff Pro menu items not visible when I right-click on a file in Windows Explorer?
- Why is a comparison plug-in producing no output or giving strange results when applied to clipboard contents?
- Can I migrate all ExamDiff Pro options from one computer to another?
- What can I do if ExamDiff Pro window has gone off screen?
Ordering and Licensing Questions:
- Where can I purchase ExamDiff Pro?
- How much does ExamDiff Pro cost?
- Can I purchase ExamDiff Pro with a purchase order?
- Can I purchase ExamDiff Pro by phone?
- How is ExamDiff Pro delivered? How long is its delivery time?
- Are there any delivery charges or processing fees for ExamDiff Pro?
- Is ExamDiff Pro a controlled product? What is its Export Control Classification Number (ECCN)?
- Will my license expire?
- How many users can use one ExamDiff Pro license? How many machines can it be installed on?
- I lost my license ... What do I do?
- Am I eligible for a free upgrade? How do I do it?
- How do I purchase an upgrade license?
- What operating systems can ExamDiff Pro run on?
- What languages does ExamDiff Pro support?
- Do you have any authorized resellers?
- I wish to purchase ExamDiff Pro licenses on behalf of someone else. How do I do this?
- Why does ExamDiff Pro show the evaluation dialog box after I copied my password file?
- Why are some of the features disabled even after I register the software?
- How can I add seats to my license?
- How can I deactivate a license of ExamDiff Pro?
For versions 3.1 or earlier you need to add a shortcut to ExamDiff Pro to your Send To folder. Now you can simply select two files or directories, right-click and send to ExamDiff Pro.
Add a new button from the menu: Configuration > Button bar...
A new button setting will be added to the default.bar file:
Submitted by Daniel Liu
To compare files with DIFFERENT names in two panes:
Same as the above except for the following:
Submitted by Anders Borup
- Your evaluation license has expired
- View filter is used
- Word Wrap mode is on
- "Enable editing within ExamDiff Pro" option is off (you can turn it on in Options | File Editing)
- Block in source file is not a part of a file but rather an empty space inserted by ExamDiff to synchronize file views
- The files are out-of-sync due to manual addition or deletion of lines in either file (this only disables block operations; re-compare and try again)
- Binary files in Hex comparison mode are not editable
For information on how to fix the menu white box problem please refer to this article.
7. When I copy a directory (with a file), it still does not refresh like it does when I copy just a file. Why?Here's the problem: ExamDiff Pro uses Windows Explorer Shell API to do file operations such as copy. Unfortunately, there is no reliable way to figure out if a file operation was successful, especially when multiple items are copied (i.e. ExamDiff Pro doesn't know if the user pressed No or even Cancel; on one of the Explorer warning dialogs). For files ExamDiff Pro just checks if a certain file was really copied, i.e. that a target file's size and time match the ones of a source file. For directories this approach doesn't generally work. (It works if there are no selected subdirectories in the target directory, but it doesn't work if both source and target subdirectories existed before the copying). If the option Compare subdirectories only to determine their status is selected, the program can only advise a user to re-compare (changing the re-compare toolbar button) -- and again, it can only be a guess, since ExamDiff Pro doesn't know whether the subdirectories were really copied.
For version 3.2c or earlier open ExamDiff Pro without selecting files, then paste your text fragments to both of file panes and click Re-Compare.
- Do not use Ignore settings in Options | Compare (or use View | Ignore the ignores).
- Set Detail level... to Lines in Options | Compare.
- Disable Fuzzy matching in Options | Compare | Advanced.
These methods will speed up comparison of large directories:
- Uncheck the Perform full file comparison option and check some of the options below it in Options | Dir Comparison.
- Check the For faster comparison options in Options | Dir Comparison.
- Use name and date/size filters in Options | Dir Comparison | Filters.
- Uncheck the Process reparse points for subdirectories option in Options | Dir Comparison | Other.
If you have version 3.4, you can manually set up the Fetch Remote File and Fetch Remote Directory plug-ins.
You can also use third-party tools that map FTP and other types of serices to Windows file system. Windows already allows to connect to FTP server directly from Windows Explorer. You can use this feature to compare files located on FTP sites but not directories.
In addition to this there are multiple tools that map Internet storage services to Windows drive letters, thus allowing to treat remote directories as local, and hence compare them or their files. Some of these tools can map Amazon S3/Cloud Drive, Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive in addition to FTP (WebDrive, ExpanDrive, NetDrive, Mountain Duck), while others, while free, are limited to FTP support (FfpUse, DriveMaker, FtpDrive).
SourceSafe 2005 permits replacing its diff tool: go to Tools | Options | Custom Editors, then select the File Difference operation for the .* File Extension and specify the path to ExamDiff Pro followed by %1 %2 in the Command Line field, then click Add and OK.
One other useful tool is this convenient SourceSafe shell extension by David Y. Zhao. All you need to do is install and configure it, and then use ExamDiff Pro's Explorer Menu on right click in comparison panes.
Prior to version 3.3, these options caused ExamDiff Pro to ignore changes whose lines were all blank or matched a specified regular expression. In other words, ExamDiff Pro ignored modified blocks only if ALL lines in a block (which may be a block of added, deleted or changed lines) were blank or matched the regular expression.
Starting with version 4.5, ExamDiff Pro can perform fuzzy matching to resolve this issue. You can enable Fuzzy matching in Options | Compare | Advanced.
19. Why is a comparison plug-in producing no output or giving strange results when applied to clipboard contents?The problem probably lies in the fact that ExamDiff Pro saves temporary Unicode files when plug-ins are executed on Clipboard contents, and the plug-in you used is unable to handle Unicode files. (All plug-ins on the ExamDiff Pro plug-in page are able to correctly handle Unicode files.)
If you have a plug-in that doesn't support Unicode, one solution, suggested by a user, is to create a batch file with these contents:
iconv.exe -f UTF-16 -t MS-ANSI %1 | <plug-in>
where <path> is the path to the directory where your plug-in is, <plug-in> is the plug-in with any necessary command-line parameters, and iconv.exe is an iconv implementation (such as GNU libiconv), stored in the same directory as the plug-in.
Then simply use this batch file in place of the original plug-in in ExamDiff Pro when you need to apply it to clipboard contents.
To migrate all ExamDiff Pro settings, including its visual elements (layouts, toolbars) and sessions with their options, you need to export the following Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro. Use Microsoft Registry Editor (regedit.exe) to export this key on the source computer, and to later import the resulting registration file on the target computer.
Version 7.0 or higher includes Export/Import Settings commands.
Ordering and Licensing Questions
ExamDiff Pro pricing page. Multi-seat discounts are applied to all orders for more than one seat, and educational discounts are available to students and educators.
PO page for information on how to buy ExamDiff Pro with a purchase order.
downloaded here, and your password is emailed to you as soon as credit card charges are cleared. We do not ship ExamDiff Pro on physical media.
ECCN for our products is EAR99 (not on the Commerce Control List).
If you purchased a multi-seat license of ExamDiff Pro, you can use it on up to as many computers as you have seats. For example, if you have five seats of ExamDiff Pro, you can install it on up to five computers. If the ExamDiff Pro is installed on a single computer and is accessed through a network, the number of computers in can be used from must not exceed the number of purchased seats.
Each license also includes unlimited email support and one year or more of free upgrades (or more, depending on the number of maintenance years purchased).
send an email to PrestoSoft with as much of the following information as you can give us: your registration name, your purchase date, and the email address you used to register ExamDiff Pro. The more information that you give us the better the chance that we can recover your password.
send an email to PrestoSoft with your current registration name and number of seats you own (you can find this information in the About Box). In return you will be emailed instructions on how to purchase an upgrade. If you purchased ExamDiff Pro more than once, and you wish to upgrade all of your separate licenses in one consolidated upgrade, please email all of your registration names along with the number of licenses for each registration.
Japanese version is available from our partner SolitonWave.
ExamDiff Pro purchase page.
- Your password file was generated for a different version of ExamDiff Pro.
- You used the right file but put it in a wrong directory. Please make sure that your ExamDiff Pro shortcut points to the same directory where the password.bin file is located.
- Set detail mode to words or characters (Options | Compare)
- Ignore lines matching regular expression (Options | Compare)
- Ignore parts of each line (Options | Compare)
- Ignore comments (Options | Ignore | Ignore comments)
- Use word wrap (Options | Word Wrap)
- Perform recursive directory comparison (Options | Dir Comparison)
- Edit files within ExamDiff Pro (Options | File Editing)
- Use plug-ins (Options | Plug-ins)
- Use Windows Explorer (Shell) integration (Options | Global)
Note that you will be able to combine your separate licenses into a single license the next time you purchase an upgrade for ExamDiff Pro.
- You can go to Help | Deactivate License within your copy of ExamDiff Pro on the device that you wish to deactivate the license on.
- You can use the license management page to deactivate your license on any of your devices. You will need to enter your order reference ID.